The Embassies of Canada, the UK and the US, in collaboration with Luiss Data Lab, organize “Beyond Fake News: The Power of Media Professionals in the Fight Against Disinformation”. This event aims to bring together leading media professionals from Italy, Canada, the UK and the US to share experience and best practices in the fight against disinformation. The session will take place at Luiss Aula Toti (Rome, Viale Romania 32) on Wednesday 7th September, from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m (CET).
The urgent need to address the problem of disinformation, and its impact on the public debate, became starkly apparent as a consequence of the risk of “No-Vax” conspiracy theories during the COVID-19 pandemic. Its use by hostile state actors – notably, but not exclusively, Russia – as a weapon of hybrid warfare has become equally visible following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. However, there has been less informed discussion of the spread of disinformation – deliberately or inadvertently – within the mainstream media.
Among the speakers, there will be international journalists and diplomats:
– Ambassador Elissa Golberg from Canadian Embassy
– Ambassador Ed Llewellyn from British Embassy
– Shawn P. Crowley, Chargé d’Affaires ad interim of the United States Embassy
– Amy Kazmin, Rome Correspondent Financial Times
– Craig Silverman, Reporter ProPublica
– Olga Robinson, Assistant Editor at BBC Monitoring
– Monica Giandotti, Host at Agorà
Moderator: Gianni Riotta, Director Luiss Data Lab and School of Journalism
“Beyond Fake News” is a hybrid event: it will be possible to participate in presence or live streaming. To register, click here. For more info, please email firstname.lastname@example.org